The pillars of islam are:
- The belief ( Imaan ) that there is no God to be worshiped except Allaah (the one God) and that Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him) is his messenger.
- Performing the prescribed prayers ( Salaat ), five times a day.
- Fasting ( Siyaam ) once a year, from sunrise to sunset throughout the entire month of Ramadaan.
- Charity ( Zakaat ) which is paid to the poor and needy once every year.
- Hajj, which is the pilgrimage to Mecca once in a lifetime if one is physically able and can afford it financially.
Pillars are part of a building. The building in this case is the perfect human being who cares and protects the rights of all creations and fellow humans, thus establishing a society in which truth and justice and peace is supreme.
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid